State Department Says Military Exercises Still On
North Korea is threatening to cancel its upcoming summit between leader Kim Jong Un and President Donald Trump over South Korea-U.S. military drills. North Korea has already canceled high-level talks with South Korea that were scheduled for Wednesday local time over those same drills.
But a U.S. State Department official said the Trump Administration is “continuing planning” for military exercises with South Korea.
“Kim Jong Un had said previously that he understands the need and the utility of the United States and the Republic of Korea continuing in its joint exercise,” State Department spokeswoman Heather Nauert said. “They’re exercises that are legal, they’re planned well, well in advance. We have not heard anything from that government or the government of South Korea to indicate that we would not continue conducting these exercises or that we would not continue planning for our meeting…next month.”
- For wisdom for President Trump and the members of his administration who have been working on the advance plans for the summit with Kim Jong Un.
About whether the United States should bend to the demands of North Korea to discontinue the military drills with South Korea.
About the need for “good faith” and sincere efforts on the part of the North to come to the negotiating table.